13 May 2019

From Espana to Fracais.

It's the birdsong I'll remember this place for. Coming from the old oak scrub forest alongside the track where I'm parked. They, our feathered friends that is, had me spellbound at dusk last night and here they are again this morning serenading me with their blend of, 'were up, we're singing, we're happy, what about you?'  Not that here is anywhere special except it is exactly where I seem to love to be, alone, off the beaten track and in beautiful countryside. Yes: this is Aragon. A sparsely populated, harsh agricultural, green hilly terrain on the southern flanks of the Pyrenees.

The city of 'Lleida', in yellow ribbon and 'Liberate, we are not Spain' adorned Catalonia, was my last stop (A big affinity with Scotland and its own struggle to be free of the Westminster oppression is very apparent throughout Catalonia. I am always met with a wave and a smile when people see the Scottish Saltire on Tanya's collar or the Scotland emblem discretely displayed on the back of Rap3.) A very pleasant evening was spent on a 'bike walk expo' through the busy city centre and up to the impressive Castile & Cathedral ruins. Tanya would never have managed the steep walks up to the very top of the castle ramparts, actually not sure I would have either. E bike made it such a pleasing expo though with superb views under a warm and balmy sunsetty sky. We arrived safely back at Rap3 only to find we had neatly parked in a secure and ok place but it just happened to be midway between a large noisy fairground and a mega big music stage where groups were practising at full volume ready for the upcoming weekend Fiesta. The Spanish do not do early nights! Sooo: onto the 'park4night' app I go and it wasn't long before we were re-parked in a very pleasant suburban recreation area approximately 7km outside of Lleida. Phew, much quieter.

As I approached the small hamlet of 'Estopinam del Castillo', clearly visible with its ruined Castillo dominating the approach Road, I happened upon the village Font complete with old type washing pools and room enough to park Rap3. Well; clearly an opportunity not to be missed. Out with buckets, brush and once I had given Tanya a good shampoo I washed Rap3.

Tanya, grumble as she does on these occasions and despite it being a cold water shampoo and rinse, raced around afterwards like a two year old before sitting majestically in the hot sunshine to dry off.

We were wild parked just off an unmetalled road where several vehicles, in fact more than would be expected of such an isolated rough track, travelled past us at various times. Google supplied the answer. E bike came out and in the hot sunshine off we set down to the 'Puente' (small bridge) across the sky blue long narrow man made lakes. My intention was to continue to the popular and well publicised cliff hugging view point but I sensed the 5k rough track ride we'd already done plus heat of the day was enough for Tanya. Adding another 5k would, I feared be too much for her. It was a circular route to the Puente and back but the return was a rougher steeper track. Again E bike using its 'walk assist' feature and carrying Tanya plus rucksack made it a pleasant, mainly walking return to Rap3 with several stops under shady trees.

What I have noticed however: and additional to Tanya's age and condition, is that now, several hours later and in a different location, I am also totally knackered to the point of feeling sick. The sunshine, the adventure of exploring, me feeling good and healthy is all a miracle after last year's cancer. Little adventures like today though thankfully, and safely, remind me I just have not got the physical stamina I used to have. However: a good day overall and now we're parked up for the night atop a windy ridge with snow covered Pyrennian peaks in the distance. Rest for now though. We'll draw a little closer to those imposing peaks tomorrow.

And indeed I have. I could have stuck to the N230 and crossed the border into France but I diverted up and into the high Spanish Pyrenees for one more night. The weather is clear blue with not a cloud in sight. That is always an encouragement to go high for all the breathtaking views.

The road I took was directly above a little hamlet 'Senet de Barraves' leading eventually to a reservoir. I decided to be kind to Rap3 as the steep, twisty, cliff edge mountain road had been metalled (tarmac) when the dam was constructed but was now rapidly deteriorating. We stopped halfway up at a conveniant 'suntrap' corner with its own little mountain stream trickling by.

"C'mon Tanya, let's get the bike out and carry on up the track".

Which we did. Similar to our previous trip, not all the way up to the dam but within sight and well up into and above the rapidly diminishing snowline. Spectacular views plus some very strange looks from two 4x4's as they passed us. Tanya loved it as this road/track was not so rough as our last bikewalk expo plus she was snug and warm in her wooly jumper as blue sky and warm sun aside the unpredictable viscious mountain gusts were straight off the very high and deep snow covered peaks. They slice through you like a sharp knife without the necessary warm clothing. Thank you Kate for all that high Scottish mountain walking/learning. I've not forgotten.

France tomorrow. Not far from Lourdes but I don't intend visiting this time.

Nb - the little white dot on the distant roadway (look directly above the rear of Tanya's green bucket) is Rap3.
-----------------



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos Steve, for me and you too I guess the first pic sums it up, all do really, the superb locations, home sweet home RV, tough cute old dog and assisted bike. It calls me too. Enjoy! Robert...