23 Jan 2012

The Start




"No. I want to keep them!" Exclaimed Mags as Pete, in his anxiety to complete the deal, offered me the expensive and complete set of melamine crockery already in the Rapido 972m motorhome I was about to buy.

Pete was duly silenced and the charm and very capable negotiating skills of Mags once again took control.

Ducking and weaving around price continued for a further few minutes but Mags was confident in her product and I too had done my research and knew a good buy when I saw one.

Shona, a much loved and good friend and colleague had also helped. Her accompanying me on this trip to Cumbria to look at a strange thing called a Motorhome was making it a good day never mind whether I completed a deal or not.

Her comment. "Steve, this is really nice" as she looked around the inside of the motorhome was reassuring to me and seemed to put a feminine seal of approval in place which felt important to me.

A deal was finally agreed and I became the proud owner of my first Motorhome.

On looking back I have to say the Universal spirits were with me that day and I bought as near a perfect quality starter motorhome kit as you can get. I bought from two lovely people too, who, incidentally, had treated 'Sadie' the Rapido with loving care and attention.

Sadie? I hear you asking. Well she is a Mercedes after all. Get it? ....Mer...sadies. I tell you it took me a few moments the first time I heard it said.

I've always had a hankering to own a Mercedes. I just never imagined it would come in this unusual shape and size.

So, there I was a few weeks later with the driveway of my three bedroom semi detached in East Kilbride very full indeed. Anxiety is a pernicious and mischievous beast and in those first few weeks I noticed a considerable rise in anxiety, ( panic attack did I hear you say?) as I stared at a very very empty bank balance and then glanced out of the window to a very very full driveway.

I heard myself on several occasions, especially as tiredness started to engulf me late at night, utter the plaintive cry. "Arrrrgh! What have i done."

No comments: